UDM is planning a one week excursion to Cuba during winter term 2014. Please note: THE DATES HAVE CHANGED. The program will now run during SPRING BREAK - departing March 1 and returning March 9, 2014.
THE PURPOSE OF this program is to introduce UDM students to the people, culture and history of Cuba. We'll look at various sectors of Cuban society. We will also examine the impact on Cuba and the United States resulting from Washington's embargo of the island in an attempt to better understand U.S.-Cuban relations.
Contact LARA WASNER AT 313-993-1191 or email@example.com.
View a sample itinerary at http://mercytocuba.com/
APPLY FOR YOUR PASSPORT SOON!
- Tour schools, museums and historical sites in Old Havana, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Discover the Cuban-inspired writings of Ernest Hemingway when we visit his Cuban estate and stay at Hotel Ambos Mundos - where he wrote some of his most notable works.
- Learn about AfroCuban folklore and attend a performance of Conjunto Folklórico de Regla.
- Discover how Cuban church leaders were inspired by the nonviolent social change strategies of Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Visit the Fortress of San Carlos de la Cabaña where Che Guevara established his headquarters after the Revolution came to power in 1959.
- Learn how to perform and dance the Salsa, Son Rumba, Mambo and other popular Cuban rhythms from the band members of Grupo Dulce María. Attend a musical performance of the famed Buena Vista Social Club.
- Learn more about the recent history of – and participate in discussions about -- diplomatic relations between the United States and Cuba.
Enroll in any of the participating Winter Term courses. You must be enrolled in coursework for academic credit (a minimum of one credit hour) in order to travel to Cuba.
UDM courses available:
- SPA 3990 - Advanced Culture (1 credit)- Ann Eskridge
UDM courses available for 3 credits:
- CST 3140 - Intercultural Communications(3 credits) - Dr. Barbara Bolz
- EDU 3200/5200 - Comparative Education (3 credits) - Dr. Lorri MacDonald
COST OF TOUR SERVICES IN CUBA
$2,200 package price includes: Lodging and meals, ground transportation in Cuba, attendance at all scheduled lectures, workshops, site visits and excursions that are part of UDM's program. AIRFARE IS NOT INCLUDED, estimated at $950 USD. TUITION IS ASSESSED SEPARATELY.
TUITION: FINANCIAL AID IS AVAILABLE!
- FULL-TIME UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS ARE COVERED UNDER UDM’S FLAT RATE OF TUITION
- PART-TIME OR LESS – STANDARD DISCOUNTS APPLY.
- FINANCIAL AID MAY BE AVAILABLE (MEET WITH YOUR AID ADVISOR TO DETERMINE ELIGIBILITY FALL TERM).CLICK HERE TO VIEW UDM - CUBA 2012 ITINERARY