Become a Consultant
Thank you for your interest in working at the UDM Writing Center! Please read below to find out more about what we do and how you can apply.
What We Do
We work with students on writing at any stage and in any form: we can brainstorm ideas for an assignment on a blank piece of paper, look through a final draft, and work on most everything in between. From start to finish, anywhere on the spectrum of student writing, we are here to provide support.
As we consult, we:
- ask writers lots of questions about what they are trying to achieve
- share the ways in which we interpret their writing and give suggestions that may help bridge any gaps in understanding
- point out places where something doesn’t sound quite right or where conventions are broken
- anticipate what readers might expect and let students in on any unspoken rules of academic writing
- share resources students may not have known existed
- break a sense of isolation that can be a problem for even the best of writers
How to Apply
If this sounds up your alley, please print and fill out an application form.
The form can be returned to the Writing Center (Briggs 131) or to Cindy Spires at email@example.com. We review applications at the end of the winter term for the next academic year.