I Want to Do THAT!
Major in Communication Studies;
Share Your Story in Our Global, Digital World
Bachelor of Arts with a Major in Communication StudiesThe Communications Studies curriculum deepens your understanding and effectivess of communicaton and communication channels through theory, ethics and direct learning opportunities.
You can tailor your major to fit your interests by choosing a concentration in electronic media, journalism, public relations/advertising or general speech. In each concentration, you will work on directed projects that enhance your skills and interests.
Student video produced in
CST4050 (Video Documentary).
Our students work as broadcast announcers for NCAA Division I sports on UDM Radio; they gain professional experience through internships at local and national media outletslike WJBK/ Fox 2 News, RadioOne/WCHB AM 1200, WDIV/TV 4, Fox Sports. You’l have the chance to make connections to help you get started. Our graduates have gone on to work at radio and TV stations in Detroit and around the country and have worked on award-winning films.
If you see yourself in the fast-paced, fast-growing field of TV, radio, and film, sign up today for a major in communication studies.
- Hone your skills while working with professional-quality HD cameras and editing software.
- Take advantage of award-winning student newspaper The Varsity News and UDM Radio.
- Learn from caring faculty members who provide you with the expert instruction and individual attention you deserve.
At UDM, you will write, report, interview, investigate, and create stories that could potentially change the world -- or, at least, a section of it. Your work will appear in print and online with The Varsity News, our campus newspaper, where you can be a leader from day one. We're in a major market, and when you break a story here it will be picked up elsewhere.
You will gain the skills you need, be trained by top working journalists, and make the contacts that will help you prosper. Our journalism program produces journalists who thrive in a multimedia environment. Our alums are working today in Detroit, New York, Washington, San Francisco, and beyond. You can be, too. Let us help you get there.
Internships are available in the University and in local businesses, organizations and non-profit service groups. Build a portfolio of experience before you graduate. Our students have interned at:
UDM Marketing and Public Affairs
- WJBK/Fox 2 News
- Olympia Entertainment
- Karmanos Cancer Institute
- Allied Advertising and Public Relations
- Detroit Newspapers
- UDM Athletic Department—Sports Information.
If you are interested in providing an internship opportunity, please email
Cynthia Langham at
While internships, externships and other opportunities vary each year, you will have plenty of opportunity to apply what you have learned in class in real-world settings.
Detroit is a great American city on the rise. Frequently projects include organizations involved with the rebirth of the city.
Our students have gained experience working at:
The Detroit News
Crain's Detroit Business
Strategic Staffing Solutions
Local TV stations
and much more.
All of our alumni have the potential to do great things. You may have heard of a few of them:
- Michael Martinez '13, reporter, The Detroit News
- Nina Carter '13, reporter, Fox 23, Tulsa, Oklahoma
- Ian Thibodeau '14, reporter, M.Live.com
- Curtis Pulliam'14, sports reporter, Ashland (Ohio) Times-Gazette.
- China Sellers Haley, reporter and anchor, Automotive News.
- Alice Riley, U.S. recruiting communication coordinator, Ford Motor Company
- Vito Chirco, social media moderator, Top Cat Sales, a for sports apparel company
- Elysia (Khalil) Christine,market research analyst, Oakland County government
- Joseph MacLean, owner, Click Getter (social media consulting firm)
- Demitrius Watts, program administrator, FirstMerit Bank
- Woody Payne, '10, Google Adwords consultant, Arvato, an international digital media support company/consulting firm
- Keontaye Harris '10, social media coordinator/marketing, Uvalle law firm, PLLC, Dallas, Texas
- Laura Hawatmeh, '13, student, UDM Law School
- ReShawn Wilder, '13, customer service agent, Spirit Airlines
- Michelle Renaud '13, assistant, John F. Martin Photography, Grosse Pointe, Michigan
- Felicia Safford '15, branch manager - Southgate, Huntington Bank
Need More Information BEFORE You Apply?
If you would like more information about UDM's Communication Studies programs, please use our contact form:
Are You Ready to Apply?
To apply, please go to the UDM Admissions page:
Because our apply page needs to accommodate all of our applicants in the disciplines that UDM offers, it may seem a bit confusing at first. To help you navigate the admissions process, we encourage you to communicate with an admissions counselor by phone at 800-635-5020 or by email at email@example.com.